If you're thinking about installing a swimming pool in your backyard, you're probably weighing all the pros and cons before making your final decision. A common question homeowners ask during the decision process is, "Will a swimming pool increase or decrease the value of my home?" While we'd like to give you a straight, universal answer, it actually depends on several factors.
If your home and the backyard you intend to create fit the following conditions, then we say, "Yes, installing such a swimming pool will increase the value of your home."
- Homes in the surrounding area / neighborhood have swimming pools by the time you resell your home. So, if most people are thinking of getting a swimming pool, the majority might actually have pools by the time you resell, and if there are already swimming pools in the majority of surrounding homes, then you're good to go.
- Additional safety features can help ensure that the swimming pool / spa living area increase your resale value. Without something like a child-lock fence and/or alarm, potential buyers with small children might worry too much about the potential hazard of the pool rather than focusing on the family fun it can bring!
- If you live in a warm climate where you can utilize the swimming pool, spa, and other backyard living features throughout the entire year, these are assets to your home rather than liabilities. These areas include portions of Florida, Nevada, and California.
- Another precaution to ensure new families may be interested in the swimming pool / spa that accompanies your home is to leave enough space in the backyard for a garden, swing set, or other accessory.
- Finally, a vital factor in determining how a swimming pool / spa will affect the resale value of your home is the upkeep. If you keep all of the features well-maintained up until the resale, potential buyers will more appreciate this home-extension. Here at California Pools, we even offer a lifetime structural warranty that can be transferred to a new homeowner if desired.
With all of these factors, you are sure to increase the resale value of your home. However with any other conditions or variations on these ones, a swimming pool can be a more neutral accessory to the home.
After weighing the rest of the pros and cons, feel free to contact us to schedule your free, in-home consultation so we can turn your backyard dream into a reality! To learn more about California Pools or how swimming pools conserve water, browse our website or call us at (800) 282-7665.